4.1 - It's the Law
How does the law influence smoking? Do all countries have similar laws or are they different?
This exercise asks participants to research the laws in their community (city, province/state and country) and the laws of another country. Ask participants to compare and contrast how these laws vary and think about the reasons for why this might be. Participants then engage in either an online or in-person debate about the merits of different laws and regulations.
1. Research the laws of smoking in your own country and another country. Look at things like: legal smoking age, laws on buying cigarettes for minors, restrictions on tobacco advertisements and legal smoking locations. Look at consequences for participating in these actions.
Check out sites such as:
- National Clearinghouse on Tobacco Control and Health Program
- The Truth
- Smoke FX
- Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids
3. Option 1 Join our Class Discussion online to debate the merits of different laws and regulations.
Option 2 Participate in a face-to-face class debate on the merits of different laws and regulations.
- Develop an understanding of local laws on smoking
- Develop an understanding of the penalties for participating in these actions
- Enhance interpersonal and argumentative abilities
Continue to 4.2 - Power of the Pen »